Today is the 15th day of Lent, a 40 day season of spiritual reflection, repentance, and renewal. During these 40 days we’ll explore the prayer life of Jesus, walking chronologically through every mention of Jesus’ prayer life and prayers in the Gospels.
Here is today’s prayer event: 13 And they were bringing children to him that he might touch them, and the disciples rebuked them. 14But when Jesus saw it, he was indignant and said to them, “Let the children come to me; do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of God. 15 Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it.” 16And he took them in his arms and blessed them, laying his hands on them. (Mark 10:13-16 ESV)
To “bless” someone in Jesus’ day was a form of prayer. It was a way of asking God to look favorably upon an individual. Here, Jesus blesses or prayerfully intercedes for children. And it’s no cold and stately blessing. He takes them in his arms, lays his hands on them, and blesses them. Can you imagine what it must have felt like for a child, having just been dismissed by Jesus’ disciples, to have Jesus pick you up, hold you, and bless you?
Look for opportunities today to pray prayers of blessings over people, especially over people who, like these children, may be forgotten or dismissed by others. Bless your children, a friend, your spouse, your boss, your waitress, the janitor, your teacher, your parents, your neighbor, your mail carrier, or the man with the cardboard sign asking for money. Utilize the following biblical blessings out loud or silently:
- The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace. (Num. 6:24-26 ESV)
- May the LORD give strength to you! May the LORD bless you with peace! (based on Ps. 29:11 ESV)
- May God be gracious to you and bless you and make his face to shine upon you, that His way may be known on earth, His saving power among all nations. (based on Ps. 67:1-2 ESV)
- May you be blessed by the LORD, who made heaven and earth! (Ps. 115:15 ESV)
- The LORD bless you! May you see the prosperity of his work all the days of your life! May you live a long life! Peace be upon you! (based on Ps. 128:5-6 ESV)
- May the LORD bless you, he who made heaven and earth! (based on Ps. 134:3 ESV)
SHARE WITH READERS BELOW: WHO BLESSED YOU GROWING UP, OR WHO MIGHT YOU BLESS TODAY?